Willkommen im Weihnachtsforum von PlanetXmas

since late August, threw a big, thick arm around and told him he was watching him.Gary is used to being watched, but thanks to W

in Weihnachts-Forum von Planet Xmas 30.08.2019 16:01
von jcy123 • 5.628 Beiträge

The day Rashan Garys finger went sideways was a turning point of sorts for Michigans understated, burgeoning star on the defensive line.It was a warm day in August when athletic trainers pulled Gary aside to pop his dislocated finger back into place before he returned to a training camp practice. His matter-of-fact reaction -- Thats football, he said to the trainer -- made an impression on coach Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines. This wasnt the coddled, entitled mentality that can come as a side effect of being named the best high school prospect in the county. And this wasnt the first time that Gary inadvertently let his team know that wasnt his style.More notable, though, is the person who knew nothing about his dislodged digit. Jennifer Coney, Garys mother, learned about her sons injury a few weeks later when Harbaugh mentioned it as a sign of toughness during a postgame press conference. When she heard, she was smacked with the contradictory mix of leaving-the-nest angst and pride to which most mothers can probably relate.You dislocated your what? And I didnt hear about it? Coney chided him later that night. He took it in stride, though. That was a beautiful thing. Not his finger, just the way he handled it.There was a steady stream of phone calls between Gary in Michigan and his mother in New Jersey from the time he arrived on campus several months earlier. She had served as a full-time gatekeeper and advocate for her youngest son, the No. 1 prospect, during a long and exhaustively covered recruiting process.Initially, Gary called to vent about the concerns that hit most college freshmen when they first arrive in a bigger pond. Football wasnt clicking as easily as it used to. Classes were hard. He needed advice at times and reassurance at others. Soon Coney noticed their conversations became more about what he was learning than what he was missing. The change could be measured in how often he mentioned two names in their talks: Taco and Chris.Chris Wormley and Taco Charlton, the Wolverines veteran starters at defensive end, first got to know Gary to some degree in April when he visited campus for Michigans spring game. Garys first impression of Wormley was hes big. Gary wasnt used to being eye-to-eye with peers during conversations, especially not anyone who could match his broad shoulders and thick build. Wormleys initial thoughts were a little more skeptical.This is the No. 1 recruit; he is probably going to think hes hot s--- , Wormley said. Hes going to want to start right away. But as soon as I met him, that was not it at all. He wanted to learn.Gary peppered the fifth-year senior with questions during their first meeting. He wanted to dive into the playbook and figure out how to wrap his head around the overwhelming pile of intricacies he was going to have to digest before he could start living up to his sky-high billing. The questions continued through summer workouts, where Gary quickly won over his new teammates by falling in line and picking the brain of anyone willing to listen.Wormley decided he would do his best to take Gary under his wing. One of the countrys deepest defensive lines could use another big body this fall. The faster Gary learned, the fresher Wormley could stay during games. But, man, the kid was going to have to learn to be patient.Gary credits his mom with instilling that inquisitive mindset in him from the very beginning of his days of dominating a football field in junior high. She made sure her son knew he didnt have all the answers.Dont ever puff your chest, because theres somebody out there who is going to put you on your butt, she warned. You might be good, but youre going to get put on your butt and you dont want to be humiliated when you do. Never act like youve got it, like youre the man.The first couple weeks of training camp at Michigan, as promised, planted the freshman firmly on his backside. Football was difficult for the first time. He missed assignments. He got scooped out of running lanes and stood up on pass rushes. Each time he came up short, he dropped his head.I wasnt getting it as fast as I wanted to. I was starting to get mad, Gary said. Ive got to get it. Ive got to get it.High expectations turn into high pressure for prospects like Gary. In many ways, hes lived up to his considerable hype in the last few months. Hes made 25 tackles, five for loss, and logged five quarterback hurries through his first 10 games while serving as a regular contributor for the countrys top scoring defense. His path there has been slightly unorthodox.Most pass-rushing superstars have a tendency to show flashes of brilliant power and athleticism in the early stages of their development, leaving spectators to drool about the time when the pass-rusher has a full set of defensive tools. Gary has done more to build his foundation than to build his hype this season.Its things that maybe other people dont see, defensive line coach Greg Mattison said. Rashan now has become a lot more accountable to make sure he does what hes supposed to do and knowing what hes supposed to do, instead of relying on somebody to say make sure you do this, make sure you do that.Gary said his most significant growth this season has been learning that the mistakes that at first dragged him down are as much a part of the learning process as his steady stream of questions. The entire Michigan defensive line -- Wormley and Charlton, especially -- drilled those ideas into him on a daily basis during their first couple months in pads together.Coney assumed her son would learn how to pace himself from his coaches or a support staffer. As she and her son went through the recruiting process together, she said she hunted for schools where Gary wouldnt have a ton of pressure to perform right away. As much as she warned him that some humbling moments were inevitable, she didnt want him to face those in an exceedingly public way. What she didnt see coming was that it would be Garys teammates, as much as anyone, who helped to pace him.That was an unexpected pleasure, she said.Gary stood in Michigans football building earlier this week explaining how his teammates have helped him this year, and the attitude that convinced them to help, when Wormley wandered by to check on his mentee. Wormley, whom Gary has called big bro since late August, threw a big, thick arm around and told him he was watching him.Gary is used to being watched, but thanks to Wormley and a deep, experienced defensive line, the freshman has had a little extra room to grow outside the public eye this season.Hes matured a lot in these last 10 weeks, Wormley said. Im excited to see what he can do as the starter next year and in all the years after that.Cullen Gillaspia Womens Jersey . Louis. To which I would say two things: 1. Where there is smoke, there is or perhaps has been a little fire. Or, in other words, the two teams would appear to have at least spoken. And spoken is defined as one calling the other to inquire, no more, no less. DOnta Foreman Womens Jersey .ca looks back at the stories and moments that made the year memorable. http://www.officialhoustontexanspro.com/Lonnie-johnson-texans-jersey/ . LOUIS -- Heading into the final stretch of the season, the issues for the Chicago Bears banged-up defence only seem to be getting worse. Andre Johnson Womens Jersey .ca NBA Power Rankings, ahead of the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs. Kahale Warring Texans Jersey . Isner, ranked No. 14, won his eighth career singles title and took the title in New Zealand for the second time after his victory in 2010. The match was similar to Isners quarterfinal victory over fifth-seeded Philipp Kohlschreiber which went to three sets, all tiebreaks and contained no breaks of serve.SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is refusing to stand for the national anthem before games because he believes the United States oppresses African Americans and other minorities.Kaepernick sat on the teams bench Friday night during the anthem before the Niners played host to the Green Bay Packers in an exhibition game. He later explained his reasoning in an interview with NFL Media .I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, Kaepernick said. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Saturday that players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem.The 49ers issued a statement after Pro Football Talk initially reported on Kaepernicks stand, saying that Americans have the right to protest or support the anthem.The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pregame ceremony, the team said. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.Coach Chip Kelly said Saturday that he had not talked with Kaepernick about his actions or comments but said that Kaepernick also did not stand for the national anthem before last weeks game in Denver when he was injured and did not play.We recognize his righht to do that, Kelly said.dddddddddddd Its not my right to tell him not to do something. Thats his right as a citizen.Kaepernick, who is biracial, was adopted and raised by white parents. He has been outspoken on his Twitter account on civil rights issues and in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.Kaepernick is not the first U.S.-based athlete to use the anthem for protest. In 1996, NBA player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf refused to stand for the anthem, saying the United States had a history of tyranny and doing so would conflict with his Islamist beliefs. The NBA initially suspended Abdul-Rauf for his stance before it was lifted when he said he would stand and pray silently during the song.Kaepernick said he is not worried about any potential fallout from his protest.This is not something that I am going to run by anybody, he told NFL Media. I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right.Kaepernicks agent did not immediately return a request for comment.Kaepernick is in competition to win back the starting quarterback job in San Francisco that he lost to Blaine Gabbert last season. He made his first appearance of the preseason on Friday night after missing two games with a tired shoulder. He finished 2 for 6 for 14 yards and added 18 yards on four runs.Kelly said Kaepernick is still in the running to win the starting job and his protest wont impact the decision.---Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '

nach oben springen

Weihnachten kommt immer sehr plötzlich ...
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: eeffrrr151
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8142 Themen und 8738 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen