Willkommen im Weihnachtsforum von PlanetXmas

20. Mens baseball and womens softball, which have been off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games, merged into

in Weihnachts-Forum von Planet Xmas 05.03.2019 06:29
von jcy123 • 5.628 Beiträge

Its no surprise that one of the most coveted volleyball recruits out of high school is already an impact player in college.Wisconsins Molly Haggerty makes the game look easy, though credit for some of that goes to teammate Lauren Carlini and the Badgers coaching staff. The 6-foot-1 freshman outside hitter, the espnW player of the week, averaged 5.88 kills per set last weekend and packed 27 kills into three sets in the Badgers sweep at Texas A&M.Haggerty picked right back up at Texas on Sunday, with 20 more kills, 14 digs and five aces to propel No. 3 Wisconsin past the 2015 national runner-up, which was ranked second at the time. The Badgers (8-1) denied Texas three match points in a 20-18 final set.The gym was very loud, said Haggerty, who has three career double-doubles in her nine collegiate matches. But the whole match, the team was composed and calm. We never really panicked. Being new to this team, it was really cool to see how relaxed we were on the court. That kept us going in the right direction.Playing alongside Carlini, one of the best setters in the game, helps. The two Illinois natives are old friends from their club volleyball days at Sports Performance.Lauren definitely helped expedite Mollys learning curve, Badgers coach Kelly Sheffield said.Carlinis ability to be consistently precise with the ball, he said, allows Haggerty to shine.Theres no stop-and-go, he said. Molly can accelerate without hesitation.Haggerty does most things at full velocity. Winning the national championship is a goal of most elite players; Haggerty is determined to win four -- all part of 10 volleyball goals for her collegiate career that she has written down. The others include four Big Ten championships for Wisconsin and winning conference freshman of the year and national freshman of the year for herself.As lofty as that might sound, consider her high school years. Haggerty led St. Francis High in Wheaton, Illinois, to four state titles, including one her senior year, when the school moved up in classification from 3A to 4A. Her club team won four AAU national championships. Twice in that span, she earned MVP honors, and twice she earned All-America honors.My freshman year of high school, the goals I set were winning four state championships, she said. Same thing for college. My goals wont change because I aim high -- not low.Competitiveness is in her nature, whether its her favorite card game, Trash, or enjoying HORSE in the driveway with sisters Meghan and Maddie. All the Haggerty children are Division I athletes. Meghan starred for Nebraska volleyball, and Maddie plays volleyball at Michigan State. Brother Ryan played basketball at Milwaukee.Molly gave a verbal commitment to Nebraska volleyball her sophomore year but decided it wasnt the best fit for her and switched to Wisconsin.Everybodys known who she was since she was very young, Sheffield said. A lot of top-level kids come into college as great athletes, really good at one or two skills. Shes just a really good all-around player, whether its attacking, blocking, passing, swinging, defense. The great thing is theres also so much room for her to grow. Im excited to have four years with her.Haggerty and her unbridled enthusiasm await conference play, which starts this weekend with home games against Ohio State and Maryland.The Big Ten is so strong, she said. Growing up, I always watched the Big Ten, so Im very excited to be playing in it. Clay Buchholz Jersey . Mickelson barely made the cut but had the best round of the day with nine birdies and an eagle coupled with two bogeys to sit two shots behind leader Craig Lee of Scotland. Lee shot a 69 for a 12-under 204 total. "I just love the fact I am in contention and have an opportunity in my first tournament of the year here in Abu Dhabi," Mickelson said. Aaron Nola Jersey . -- Whether Jeremy Hill deserves a prominent role in LSUs offence this early in the season is a matter for debate. http://www.philliesrookiestore.com/Phillies-Tommy-Joseph-Kids-Jersey/ . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. John Kruk Jersey . MLS Commissioner Don Garber and Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez also will attend the session, which was announced Monday. The league has discussed placing its next two expansion teams in Miami and Atlanta. Jim Bunning Jersey . -- Arizona raced out to a big lead and did not back off, hitting the accelerator instead.ST. PETERSBURG, Russia -- And now for the gold-medal match. Three months after being surprisingly booted out of the 2020 Olympics, wrestling is back in the frame and will compete against baseball-softball and squash for a spot in the games. "We had the opportunity to have a second chance to compete," international wrestling federation head Nenad Lalovic said Wednesday after the three sports made the IOC shortlist. "We took the opportunity. We won the first match but there is another one to fight." Of eight sports competing for a place on the 2020 program, five were eliminated from the race -- karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and the Chinese martial art of wushu. The IOC executive board decided to recommend wrestling, squash and baseball-softball to the full IOC assembly for a final decision on Sept. 8 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Only one will get through. "We are competitors. We had seven and now we have two," said Lalovic, a Serb who has revamped the governing body FILA and led the campaign for reinstatement. "Be careful, we are good fighters." Despite a tradition dating to the ancient Olympics, wrestling was cut from the list of core sports by the IOC board in February. The decision caused an international uproar and prompted the United States, Russia, Iran and other countries to join forces in an unlikely political alliance to save the sport. Wrestling has gone through a major upheaval since the rejection. Raphael Martinetti resigned as FILA president within days of the decision and was replaced by Lalovic, who won the election as full-time leader 10 days ago. FILA has brought women and athletes into decision-making roles and enacted rule changes to make the competition more compelling. Matches will now consist of two three-minute sessions instead of three two-minute periods, and scoring will be cumulative instead of the previous best-of-three system. "Everybody understood what we have done," said Lalovic, wiping away sweat from his forehand after the decision was announced in a packed conference room. "They probably trust us that we can do more and this is the result. "But we have to do much more, and to prepare ourselves for Buenos Aires with additional arguments. These will not be sufficient in Buenos Aires." Asked whether the result showed the IOCs earlier decision was a mistake, Lalovic said: "I cant say that. Simply, I dont judge them. They are in the position to judge us." Wednesdays announcement came after the eight sports federations made 30-minute closed-door presentations to the IOC board. The board voted by secret ballot over several rounds, with a majority required for making the shortlist and low vote-getters eliminated. Wrestling showed its newfound strength by winning on the first round with eight of the 14 votes. It took baseball-softball and squash several votes before they secured enough votes for selection. "The number of this vote today doesnt have any influence on the voting in the session," Lalovic said. "It doesnt mean we have any advantage in Buenos Aires. In Buenos Aires, well have the same starting position." Baseball-softball beat karate 9-5 in a head-to-vote to win its spot on the list. Squash got through in the final round, getting eight votes to defeat wushu with four and sport climbing with two. "It was never going to be an easy decisiion but I feel my colleagues on the board made a good decision in selecting baseball-softball, squash and wrestling to be put forward in Buenos Aires," IOC President Jacques Rogge said in a statement.dddddddddddd "I wish the three shortlisted sports the best of luck in the run-up to the vote in September and would like to thank the other sports for their hard work and dedication." The process has created some embarrassment for the International Olympic Committee, which was forced to row back from its previous ruling. The addition of wrestling to the mix has not gone down well with all the applicant sports and some IOC members. If wrestling wins the vote in September, that will defeat the IOCs original goal of bringing in a new sport in 2020. Mens baseball and womens softball, which have been off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games, merged into a single federation to improve their chances of getting back in. The two were cut by the IOC in 2005, the first sports dropped since polo in 1936, and failed several times to win reinstatement as individual sports. "Were just very happy that we made that shortlist and now I guess were in the seventh inning and weve got to go on to the ninth," said Don Porter, the American co-president of the World Baseball Softball Confederation. "Weve got a lot of young girls and boys out there who want to get their Olympic dreams back. "I think thats what all of us feel, that it vindicated in one sense, at least to give us another chance to try to do that." Cubas Antonio Castro, a son of Fidel Castro and a vice-president of the WBSC, was part of the delegation. The federation proposes separate baseball and softball tournaments of eight teams each, played as back-to-back six-day tournaments at a single venue. The lack of major league players has always been a disadvantage to baseballs Olympic bid. MLB commissioner Bud Selig has said the season wont be stopped to free players for the Olympics, but the federation is working to get some MLB players committed to coming. Squash is bidding for Olympic inclusion for a third time. The sport, which would join tennis and badminton as racket sports in the games, would hold singles tournaments featuring 32 male and 32 female players. Matches would be played in two glass courts. Tennis star Roger Federer is one of the sports backers. "I said to the executive board that the one big regret in my career is that I have never had the chance to compete in the Olympic Games, but I would happily trade all my seven world titles for the chance of Olympic gold," womens squash No. 1 Nicol David of Malaysia said. World Squash President N. Ramachandran said he wasnt worried by the fact it took many rounds of voting before his sport advanced to the final. "As long as youre on the shortlist, what does it matter?" he said. "Thats how I look at it. I think our chances are better than ever before. And who knows what will happen between now and September? Anything can happen." Perhaps the sport most disappointed with the result was karate, another third time bidder after losing out in 2005 and 2009. Karate, which had been considered a likely finalist, scored well with four or five votes through several rounds before eventually dropping out with two. Karate may have suffered because two other martial arts are already on the Olympic program, judo and taekwondo. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Weihnachten kommt immer sehr plötzlich ...
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: eeffrrr151
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8141 Themen und 8737 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen