Willkommen im Weihnachtsforum von PlanetXmas

p guys were over on the bench with me. We hadnt completed a pass in the last seven or eight attempts.Despite the criticism,

in Weihnachts-Forum von Planet Xmas 27.01.2020 04:48
von jcy123 • 5.628 Beiträge

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Marcus McMaryion kept it simple and he wound up with five touchdowns.McMaryion threw for 265 yards and a career-high five scores on Saturday night when Oregon State snapped a five-game losing streak with a 42-17 victory over Arizona. It was the most touchdown passes for a Beaver since 2013.Guys were just making plays, bottom line, McMaryion said. The play calls were there, real simple. I was trying not to over-complex things, just stick to my reads and not think too much. It definitely played dividends.Ryan Nall ran for 124 yards and another score while Jordan Villamin caught six passes for 124 yards in just the second conference win for the Beavers (3-8, 2-6-Pac-12).It was the eighth straight loss for the Wildcats (2-9, 0-8), who have been overwhelmed by injuries this season. Anu Solomon made his first start at quarterback since the opener but was injured in the first quarter and replaced by Brandon Dawkins, who threw for 106 yards and a touchdown while running for 88 yards on 15 carries.I feel bad for our school. I feel bad for our fans. I feel bad for our program, Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said. We shouldnt get to this point. I guarantee well get out of it. I dont want to say that were going to be better because of it, because its miserable.Oregon State took the early lead on McMaryions 53-yard pass to Villamin. The Beavers extended the lead with McMaryions 11-yard pass to Nall, who missed last weeks game against UCLA because of a lingering foot injury.Solomon, who missed six games with a knee injury earlier this season, was sacked for a 19-yard loss early in the second quarter and was later seen limping on the sideline. He emerged from the locker room in the second half wearing a boot on his left foot.After Dawkins hit Nate Phillips with a 10-yard touchdown pass for the Wildcats, Timmy Hernandez made a diving 27-yard touchdown catch in the end zone to put the Beavers up 21-7.Josh Pollack made a 22-yard field goal for Arizona before the break.McMaryion added a 35-yard scoring pass to Trevon Bradford and Nall ran three yards for another score in the third quarter.Samajie Grant ran 2 yards for an Arizona touchdown in the final quarter but McMaryion closed out the game for the Beavers with a 10-yard scoring pass to Artavis Pierce.Oregon State coach Gary Andersen was impressed by the latest performance for his sophomore quarterback, who was pressed into service when starter Darell Garretson and backup Conor Blount were injured earlier this season.I thought he threw the ball accurately and the great thing is tonight guys caught the ball for him when presented with the opportunity, Andersen said. Thats big for us, because it hasnt gone that way a lot of times in certain scenarios. But I thought he was accurate and when he was accurate the ball got caught.THE TAKEAWAYArizona: Arizona went into the game ranked at the bottom of the Pac-12 for scoring offense with an average of 22.4 points per game. ... Rodriguez said afterward that Solomon injured his toe.Oregon State: With two wins in the Pac-12, the Beavers pull even with the rival Oregon Ducks, who won their second league game earlier in the day in a 30-28 upset of No. 11 Utah. The Civil War game next week will determine the last-place finisher in the Pac-12 North division.ONE MORE CHANCE: The Wildcats get one more shot at a conference win next weekend in the rivalry game against Arizona State.I feel like crap. Lost another game. Thank God we have our rival. Its at home. Its our seniors, who have had a good career up until this year, Rodriguez said. Gosh, if we cant put all our energy into putting our best foot forward for that one, then Id be extremely disappointed.PLAYING FOR SETH: The Beavers were without receiver Seth Collins, one of the most dynamic players on the team, who was hospitalized this past week with an undisclosed illness. Andersen couldnt discuss any specifics because of privacy rules. Collins, who is most likely done for the season, had 36 catches for 418 yards this season.Linebacker Manase Hungalu said afterward: That was our motivation. This whole team is built around family. One family member goes down, we gotta fight for him. That was our whole motivation for this game and it will continue until he gets better.UP NEXTArizona: The Wildcats wrap up a disappointing season at home on Friday with the Duel in the Desert rivalry game against Arizona State. The Sun Devils fell to No. 7 Washington 44-18 earlier on Saturday night.Oregon State: The Beavers close out the season at home next Saturday with the annual Civil War rivalry game against Oregon.---More AP college football at www.collegefootball.ap.org and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25 Cairo Santos Jersey Store . -- There were so many positives from the Orlando Magics first victory of the season that it was hard for coach Jacque Vaughn to stop praising his players. Mack Strong Jersey Store . Takahashi, who had a 10-point lead after the short program, received 268.31 points after the free skate to finish 15 points ahead of second-place Nobunari Oda. https://www.chinacheapjerseys.net/dennis-mckinnon-jersey-store/ . The Dutchmans tenure got off to a poor start when referee Guido Winkmann awarded a penalty within two minutes for Niklas Starks clumsy challenge on Alexandru Maxim. Bobo Wilson Jersey Store .Y. -- Syracuse has turned up the defence at the right time all season, and when High Point threatened to pull off a monumental upset the second-ranked Orange did what they do best with their quick hands and savvy play. Geoff Schwartz Jersey Store . On Saturday night, the normally free throw-challenged centre did just that. Howard scored 18 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, including 13 of 19 free throws in a 2 1/2-minute stretch, and the Houston Rockets beat the Denver Nuggets 122-111. Nearly a half-century later, former Notre Dame?coach Ara Parseghian still believes he made the right decision at the end of what would become the most famous tie in college football history.Even today, Parseghian, 93, doesnt understand why so many people have questioned his strategy in the final minutes of Notre Dames 10-10 tie against Michigan State?on Nov. 19, 1966.The game ended in a tie, Parseghian said. We didnt play for a tie.Nearly 50 years ago, No. 1 Notre Dame played No. 2 Michigan State at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan, in what was being called -- yes, even back then -- the Game of the Century. It was the first time in the 30-year history of the AP poll that the No. 1 team played the No. 2 team. Their collective rosters included 25 All-Americans, 10 NFL first-round draft picks and 31 future pros.Back in an era when the Associated Press and United Press International released their final polls before teams played in postseason bowl games, the 1966 Game of the Century was supposed to decide the national championship.If you look at the talent on those two rosters, I dont know that it will be ever be duplicated, Notre Dame quarterback Terry Hanratty said. It was amazing. In that era, those were the two greatest teams to play each other.Thats what made the controversial ending so anticlimactic. In the end, the Game of the Century didnt settle much of anything. After 60 minutes of high drama, the Fighting Irish and Spartans -- and everyone else in America -- were left arguing about which team was No. 1. Its a debate that still lingers today.It was probably better for us to have tied that game, because no one has forgotten about it, Hanratty said. Were still talking about that game. It was 50 years ago.On Saturday night, No. 12 Michigan State and No. 18 Notre Dame renew their rivalry after a three-year hiatus. Near the 50th anniversary of their most famous tie, some of the men who coached and played in the game still remember vivid details of one of the greatest sporting events in American history.Under Parseghian, the Fighting Irish were 8-0 and absolutely dominant. Led by All-Americans Alan Page, Jim Lynch and Pete Duranko, Notre Dame shut out five of its previous six opponents before playing Michigan State; the opponent that did score, Navy, had managed one touchdown in a 31-7 loss. The Irish were just as potent on offense behind the high-flying sophomore duo of Hanratty and end Jim Seymour, outscoring their first eight foes by a combined score of 301-28.The Spartans were the defending UPI national champions and had embarrassed Notre Dame in a 12-3 victory in 1965, holding the Irish to minus-12 rushing yards, 24 passing yards and three first downs, the worst offensive performance in school history. With All-America defensive end Bubba Smith, linebacker Charles Thornhill and defensive back George Webster, the Spartans were equally as menacing in 1966.Amid the Civil Rights Era, Notre Dame and Michigan State couldnt have looked more different. The Fighting Irish were almost lily-white; Page was the only African-American player on the team. But Michigan States Duffy Daugherty was among the first Big Ten coaches to integrate his football team. The 1966 Spartans had eight black players starting on defense, a black starting quarterback and two black team captains. In all, their roster included 17 African-American players, including 10 from the South, where colleges still didnt accept them.All the Southern players, we were outcasts from our own states, former Michigan State wide receiver Gene Washington, a native of La Porte, Texas, told ESPN in 2015. All of the states where we were from, they would not take black athletes. We bonded at Michigan State because we all had similar stories. We could make a contribution. That was very important to us. We didnt talk about that all the time, but we knew we had something to prove, and this is our opportunity.We wanted to be the best in the country.The build-up to the 1966 Michigan State-Notre Dame game was unprecedented. Under NCAA rules at the time, college football teams were allowed to appear on TV only three times every two years and only once on a national broadcast (the rules were in place, in part, to keep the Fighting Irish from appearing on TV every week). Because Notre Dames 1966 opener against Purdue had been broadcast nationally, the Michigan State game could be shown only on regional TV. Instead, ABC planned to show the Tennessee-Kentucky game to a national audience.Late ESPN analyst Beano Cook, who was ABCs publicity director for college football at the time, became a target of much fan outrage.They put my name in a newspaper in Portland last week as the person to complain to, Cook told the AP in 1966. I received 350 letters, some telegrams and 10 long-distance phone calls -- some collect -- in three days, all pleading for a change.According to the Los Angeles Times, an inmate in a Texas jail wrote to ABC vice president Roone Arledge, telling him: If I werent here, Id travel to see the game on television, but I wont be out by Nov. 19.A Florida man even sued the Federal Communications Commission for depriving Southern citizens of top grade college football.In the end, ABC relented and blacked out the Michigan State-Notre Dame game in two states, so it could technically be called a regional broadcast. It would also be the first time a college football game was broadcast to Hawaii and to U.S. troops in Vietnam.We knew it was a big game, but back then there wasnt ESPN, Facebook, email or all of the other media they use to hype things up nowadays, Hanratty said. It was a big game, but it wasnt even supposed to be a nationally televised game. They blacked out North Dakota and South Dakota. All of the Notre Dame crazies in those two states had to scramble somewhere else to watch the game.Tickets to the game were being scalped for as much as $500 apiece. Former Michigan State defensive end Phil Hoag remembers being given four tickets for family and friends to attend. He needed only one ticket for his mother, so he sold the others to a pair of Sports Illustrated reporters after practice.Somehow, I ended up on the cover of Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks later, Hoag said. There was even a photograph of me inside.During the week before the game, Michigan States students staged a massive bonfire on campus, burning issues of Sports Illustrated with Hanratty on the cover. Smith, who died in August 2011, recalled before his death that MSU students gathered outside his dorm room and chanted his name. Earlier in the week, Notre Dame students had hung him in effigy; a dummy wearing his green No. 95 jersey was dropped from the gym roof and shredded to pieces during a pep rally.I was living on the first floor of Wonders Hall, our dorm back then, just trying to relax when I heard this noise, Smith told the Los Anggeles Times in 1986.dddddddddddd I went to the window, pulled up the shades, and there were a couple thousand students all camped outside. When they saw me, they all began to chant, Kill, Bubba, kill! Kill, Bubba, kill!George Webster was my roommate then, and I just said: George, theres some serious energy going down here. Ive got to take a long walk to think about things.Smith didnt get the same affection from local police, though. The day before the game, he was pulled over while driving his Cadillac, which was affectionately known on campus as the Bubba Mobile. He was arrested for outstanding parking tickets and released later that day.It was a grandstand play by the police, Smith told the Los Angeles Times. Those tickets had been around for a while, and they couldve waited another day or two. When they pulled me over, I was saying to [Spartans quarterback] Jimmy [Raye], Man, there aint no way theyre going to arrest Bubba Smith.I was laughing right up until they put the handcuffs on.On the morning before the game, Notre Dames players and coaches boarded the Grand Trunk Railroad to make the 150-mile trek to Michigan State. Along the way, Fighting Irish fans cheered from train stations, waving placards and pompoms. When the train arrived in East Lansing, a couple of inches of snow covered the platform. Star halfback Nick Eddy slipped while exiting one of the train cars and slammed his injured shoulder into a steel handrail. He wasnt able to play in the game.It would only get worse for the Fighting Irish. On Notre Dames second possession of the game, a running back delivered a play from the sideline to the huddle: quarterback draw. Hanratty was surprised by the play selection, but ran it anyway. He took the snap and tried to run around the edge, but Thornhill stopped him and Smith slammed him to the ground. Hanratty separated his right shoulder. Two plays later, the Irish lost starting center George Goeddeke to a sprained ankle.When I got to the sideline, Ara said, Why in the hell did you run the quarterback draw? Hanratty said. I told him, Because you called it! He said hed called a running back draw.Without Hanratty, the Fighting Irish fell behind 10-0 in the second quarter. Spartans fullback Regis Cavender scored on a 4-yard run to make it 7-0, and then Dick Kenney, a barefoot kicker from Hawaii, made a 47-yard field goal for a 10-0 lead.Somehow, even without three offensive starters, the Irish werent done. Backup quarterback Coley OBrien, who had been diagnosed with diabetes the week before, rallied his team late in the second quarter. He threw a 34-yard touchdown pass to Bob Gladieux to cut Michigan States lead to 10-7, giving the Irish momentum heading into the half. In the third quarter, Notre Dame kicker Joe Azzaro made a 42-yard field goal to tie the score at 10.For all its buildup, the Game of the Century was hardly a work of art by either side. The teams combined for five fumbles, four interceptions and 25 incompletions. It remained a 10-10 tie late in the fourth quarter, after Azarro missed a second field goal attempt.After Michigan State punted, the Irish took over at their 30-yard line with about a minute and a half remaining. With the Spartans crowd booing fiercely, Notre Dame ran the ball up the middle six consecutive times. After picking up a first down at the Notre Dame 41, OBrien dropped back to pass and was sacked for a 7-yard loss. The Spartans used their last timeout, before OBrien sneaked for 5 yards to end the game.The Game of the Century ended in a 10-10 tie. The next week, Notre Dame blasted No. 10 USC 51-0 on the road.After the game, everybody kind of just stood there and looked around, Hanratty said. Id never tied a game in my life, so I didnt know how to react. Nobody knew how to react. Bubba was out at midfield, screaming, Lets keep playing! Lets keep playing! It was weird.Said Hoag: There was absolutely, positively no question that [Parseghian] didnt want anything to do with trying to move the ball in the last two minutes. He didnt want to lose the game. He wanted to tie the game. He was going to take his chances with USC.Legendary college football writer Dan Jenkins, who covered the game for Sports Illustrated, famously wrote that Parseghian chose to tie one for the Gipper. After the article was published two weeks later, he was swamped by dozens of letters from irate Notre Dame fans. He framed one particular letter, along with a photograph of Notre Dame students burning about 1,500 copies of the issue. The letter read: Notre Dame 51, USC 0. Go straight to hell you lousy son of a bitch.I think I gave Ara credit at the time for running out the clock because he felt arrogantly sure that Notre Dame could win the polls with a tie, not just over Michigan State but also over an undefeated and untied Alabama, Jenkins told ESPN. But I still think it was chickens---, and I stand by my position that he tied one for the Gipper.Nearly fifty years later, Parseghian says he wouldnt do anything different in the final minute. He recalled OBrien needing two insulin shots on the sideline, and he was worried his backup quarterback was wearing down.Neither Duffy Daugherty nor I expected a tie or wanted a tie, Parseghian said. The game ended in a tie in one of the historic games. Strategically, I knew what I was doing in the game. You have to remember Duffy kicked the ball back to me. My starting quarterback, starting center, starting left tackle and all my top guys were over on the bench with me. We hadnt completed a pass in the last seven or eight attempts.Despite the criticism, Hanratty believes his coach made the right choice.Ara caught a lot of crap for going for the tie, Hanratty said. But no one ever talks about Duffy punting the ball back to us. I loved Duffy, and Michigan State was my second choice in where to go to school. Duffy was a great human being, but he also punted to us from the 50-yard line with about a minute and a half to go. He could have easily gone for it, more than we could have from our 20-yard line. If we screwed up from where we were, we would have lost the game.In the end, Parseghian made the right calculation. In the final AP poll, the Fighting Irish received 41 of 56 first-place votes and finished No. 1, ahead of No. 2 Michigan State and No. 3 Alabama. They finished in the same order in the final UPI poll.I guess everybody wanted to win the game, but the bottom line is it wasnt meant to be, Azzaro said. I can remember talking to Ara about the game at our last team reunion. I told him if I hadnt missed that second kick, and he hadnt called the end of the game the way he did, we wouldnt have been sitting there talking about it. That game is going to outlive me, and hopefully it will outlive you. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Weihnachten kommt immer sehr plötzlich ...
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: eeffrrr151
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8142 Themen und 8738 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen