Willkommen im Weihnachtsforum von PlanetXmas

t on that.All we have, in Koufaxs case, is this: He was great. No, he was the greatest. And then he was gone. Click. So the perc

in Weihnachts-Forum von Planet Xmas 16.12.2019 14:56
von jcy123 • 5.628 Beiträge

Theres something important you should know about our insane attempt to rank the top 100 baseball players of all time. This list was not assembled by mathematicians, statisticians, sabermetricians, academicians or even dieticians.No sir. This list was assembled by us. By actual human beings. By a bunch of people who love baseball. Who cover baseball. Who write and talk about baseball. And who are pretty sure that we know a little something about baseball (or at least we used to be pretty sure, until we read our Twitter replies).So as you rummage through these rankings, it wont take long before the truth hits you. Some of the players on this list are way, way, way too high. Or way, way, way too low.Lets face it. Ken Griffey Jr. was not the 14th-best player in history. Roberto Clemente was not the 18th-best. Johnny Bench was not the 29th-best. Mariano Rivera was not the 49th-best. They were great. They were cool. They were awesome to watch. But you know what else they clearly were, judging by these rankings? Overrated. By us, anyway.On the other hand, Im not sure how we can possibly explain why Honus Wagner, Cy Young and good old Roger Clemens didnt even make our top 10. Heck, Tris Speaker didnt even dent our top 40. Mel Ott didnt crack our top 50. Grover Cleveland Alexander wasnt even in our top 90.Wow. Thats pretty, pretty, pretty crazy when you step back and think about it. But maybe these men always wanted to be considered underrated some day. Well, congratulations to them. They finally made it.Then there is a third group of iconic players on this list, men who fascinate me by where they wound up in these rankings. Pedro Martinez at No. 11. Joe DiMaggio at No. 15. Sandy Koufax at No. 16. Jackie Robinson at No. 30. Hmmmmm. Are we sure about those numbers? Really sure? Boy, I dont know about that.Our hearts tell us: We love those guys. Whats the problem? Then we hear a voice speaking to us from the computer command center, which may or may not (we cant confirm) be located in Bill James attic. That voice is wondering what the heck got into us. That voice has checked the numbers, apparently. Now it wants some explanations.Somehow or other, we managed to rank Pedro as the second-greatest pitcher in the history of baseball, behind only Walter Johnson. And we ranked Koufax as the fourth-greatest (with Greg Maddux squeezing in between Pedro and Koufax). Wait. We did what?We ranked both of them ahead of Cy Young (No. 17), Christy Mathewson (No. 28), Clemens (No. 19), Bob Gibson (No. 20) and Tom Seaver (No. 34)? And we ranked them so far ahead of poor Grover Cleveland Alexander (No. 97), hed need to change elevators three times just to get to check in with the receptionist in their penthouse.So whats up with that? Um, let me tell you what I think was up with that.I believe theres a mysterious force that washes over us as we watch sports, and especially as we watch certain charismatic people who play those sports. Were so drawn to them when theyre at their greatest, were willing to pretend that thats what they always were. Forever and ever.I once wrote a book on the most overrated and underrated baseball players of all time (The Stark Truth, still available wherever books are sold online, by the way). So I devoted like 50,000 words of eloquent prose to this subject. It was a book that kept coming back to one overriding theme, about how perception and reality can be two very different things. And since it generated so much conversation (polite word of the day) when I used that theme to explain why I thought Koufax was (gasp) overrated, lets start with him.If we use wins above replacement to measure Koufaxs all-time greatness, baseball-reference.com tells us he was not quite the fourth-best starting pitcher in the history of the universe. He was, well, the 117th. But hey, hes ahead of Bartolo Colon (No. 129) anyway.Maybe thats unfair, though, since were talking about a man whose throbbing elbow forced him to retire at 30 years old. So any data based on longevity doesnt apply to the great Koufax, right? His awesomeness was defined by his best years, not his staying power.So instead, well use Jay Jaffes fantastic invention, JAWS, to measure Koufaxs standing among the legends. JAWS also factors in a players seven-year peak, which would seem to be right in Koufaxs wheelhouse. Naturally then, JAWS elevates Koufaxs standing considerably -- all the way up to (uh-oh) the 88th-greatest starter of all time. Behind the likes of Tim Hudson, Dave Stieb and Chuck Finley, but ahead of Mark Buehrle and Mark Langston at least.I could explain more about why that is, but whatever. This is all we really need to know about how perception and reality diverge when anyone mentions that magical name, Koufax.Theres a certain romance that wraps itself around someone like him. Someone who disappears into the shadows of time at not just the peak of his own greatness but a peak that eclipses almost any pitchers greatness.That peak really lasted only four spectacular years, which you maybe can stretch to six if youre the biggest Koufax fan in the universe and you want acknowledgement of the two B-plus seasons that led up to that peak. But if you want to reflect on the very nature of perception versus reality, reflect on that.All we have, in Koufaxs case, is this: He was great. No, he was the greatest. And then he was gone. Click. So the perception of the superhuman phase of his career blots out all the reality those numbers above reflect. In reality, Koufaxs period of greatness was way too brief to merit ranking where he ranks on this list. He rode the perception express to a place he honestly shouldnt reside. And thats OK. It tells us something.Its not exactly what it tells us about Pedro, but its similar, right? JAWS would say he was the 21st-best starter ever, not the second-best. But heres the deal. Every one of us who voted remembers Pedro Martinez when he was at the pinnacle of his inimitable Pedro-esque brilliance. Grover Cleveland Alexander? Apparently, were a little fuzzier in our memories of him.So it was our vivid recollection of that Pedro, the dude firing 17-strikeout one-hitters at Yankee Stadium, that drove us to pile on the votes that landed him at No. 11 overall on the top 100, and No. 2 among starting pitchers. And thats OK, too. We might not be able to justify it mathematically. But its a reflection of who we are, just as much as a reflection of the dominator he could be on any given trip to the mound.Then there is DiMaggio. When I was writing my book, I talked to people who were trying to convince me he was the most overrated center fielder who ever lived. You know what I told them? No, he wasnt. But Ive never stopped thinking about those debates. How could I?Joe DiMaggio played baseball at a time when very few people actually saw him play baseball. So there are really two versions of DiMaggios career. There is the actual version, where he shows up as the sixth-greatest center fielder of all time, according to both JAWS and WAR. Then there is the romanticized version, where it feels as if hes hitting in 56 straight every season, in between dates with Marilyn Monroe.Should we have ranked the actual DiMaggio at No. 15, ahead of Rogers Hornsby, ahead of Frank Robinson, ahead of Mike Schmidt and Jimmie Foxx? Of course not. The actual Joe D should have shown up at No. 68, according to wins above replacement. Apparently, were romantics here at #MLBRank headquarters. Who knew?Finally, theres Jackie. In one corner of my brain, I cheered when I saw Jackie Robinson at No. 30 on this list. Its a reflection not only of the player he was but also the man he was. And the history-altering figure he was. We should never forget he was all of that and more.In the other corner of my brain, where the baseball historian in me still needs to be heard, I had to admit I asked myself: Isnt No. 30 kind of high? Truthful answer: Yeah, it is.We were instructed as voters to factor in players Negro League accomplishments. But remember, Robinson played only one season in the Negro Leagues, followed by 10 seasons in the big leagues. He was an amazing player. Rookie of the Year. MVP. Two stolen-base titles -- including one in a season in which he also won a batting title and slugged .528. But he was not the 30th-best baseball player of all time.WAR ranks him as the 165th-best. As voters, we ignored that. We rewarded him for being one of the five most important baseball players of all time. No one told us we couldnt. Hey, its our list. So we get to place him anywhere we like.As with all rankings -- whether its the greatest baseball players of all time or the greatest ice-cream flavors of all time -- certain things dont always apply. Science. Math. Facts. Reason. Reality. All optional.Perception? Emotion? Pure, unabashed irrationality? They can be powerful forces when someone says: Start ranking! So feel free to disagree. Feel free to debate. But dont call us crazy. You know what we really are? Human. Thats all. Air Jordan 1 Outlet . Scott won the Australian PGA last week in his first event in Australia since winning the U.S. Masters in April. American Matt Kuchar, ahead by two strokes with four to play and even with Scott with one to go, double-bogeyed the 18th after taking two shots to get out of a bunker. Air Jordan 1 Retro . -- Charline Labonte couldnt have asked for a better homecoming. https://www.cheapairjordan1outlet.com/ . PAUL, Minn. Cheap Air Jordan 1 . The 18-year-old American had five birdies in her bogey-free round for a 17-under total of 196. Lee held the overnight lead but mixed three birdies with two bogeys for a 70. Air Jordan 1 From China . Still, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke thought taking him out before the fifth inning was an unusual move. "Im looking up at the board and hes got two hits given up and one run, and Im taking him out after the fourth inning," Roenicke said. India Blue 707 (Pujara 166, Agarwal 161, Jackson 105, Shreyas 5-173) and 85 for 0 (Agarwal 49*, Gambhir 36*) lead India Green 237 (Parthiv 55, Raina 52, Mithun 3-16, Karn Sharma 3-74) by 555 runsScorecard and ball-by-ball details After grinding India Green down on the first two days by posting 707, India Blue turned in a masterful effort on the field to skittle their opponents for 237 in 61 overs on the third day of the Duleep Trophy league fixture in Greater Noida. A first-innings lead was enough to ensure a berth in the final for the Gautam Gambhir-led India Blue against India Red.India Blue, perhaps mindful of giving their bowlers proper rest ahead of the five-day finale from September 10, opted for some batting practice instead of enforcing the follow-on. Their in-form openers Mayank Agarwal and Gambhir, who put together 212 in the first innings, were still together at stumps as India Blue, who ended on 85 without loss, extended their lead to 555 with 90 overs to play.With the result of the clash all but decided, Suresh Rainas boys will need a herculean effort to prevent another day of toil when play resumes.India Green, with an opportunity to start afresh after a disappointing bowling displayy, were up against it almost immediately as they lost M Vijay in the fourth over when he was deceived in flight and was bowled by Karn Sharmas skidder.ddddddddddddThey continued to lose wickets in clumps from there on, even as Robin Uthappa briefly sparkled with 41, before a futile attempt at a cut shot to a full delivery resulted in a wicket for Pankaj Singh.A 78-run stand for the fifth wicket between Shreyas Gopal and Saurabh Tiwary ensued, before Abhimanyu Mithun removed his Karnataka team-mate Shreyas with a delivery that held its line to take the outside edge. When Parthiv Patel fell off the first ball of the next over to Pankaj for a well-crafted 55, the innings was on freefall at 168 for 6.With just the tailenders for company, Raina, who came in to bat at No. 7 because of an illness that kept him off the field for most parts of the second day, swung his way to a half-century before becoming the penultimate batsman to be dismissed. The innings folded soon after when Karn had Pragyan Ojha lbw. Karn and Mithun were rewarded with three wickets, while Pankaj had two. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Weihnachten kommt immer sehr plötzlich ...
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: eeffrrr151
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8142 Themen und 8738 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen