Willkommen im Weihnachtsforum von PlanetXmas

victory for the Springboks, and a drop goal in the dying moments that sent the crowd of 38.704 wild.Winger Reece Hodge misse

in Weihnachts-Forum von Planet Xmas 20.07.2018 02:12
von jcy123 • 5.628 Beiträge

BOSTON -- From his den in Huntsville, Alabama, Onree Jackson will quietly root to see Jacoby Brissett under center when he watches New England host Houston on Thursday night.Almost 50 years have passed, but Jackson still remembers his excitement when he was drafted out of Alabama A&M in 1969 by the Boston Patriots -- the franchises first black quarterback.Back then, the team hailed his potential to be the Willie Mays of pro football. But he never played in a regular-season NFL game.Now, Brissett could establish a footnote for a franchise born in a city with a complicated racial past, its first African-American player to start at quarterback. While the Patriots have been racially progressive in other ways, the New York Giants are the only other NFL team to have never started an African-American quarterback.Brissetts opportunity comes because of two unusual factors. Tom Brady, the teams cornerstone, is suspended four games for his role in using underinflated footballs in the playoffs in 2015. And Bradys backup, Jimmy Garoppolo, has a shoulder injury and is listed as doubtful for Thursday.While none have started a regular-season game, the Patriots have drafted eight African-American quarterbacks. Michael Bishop played the most, appearing in eight games in 2000.The potential distinction shows how much things have changed in 50 years.When I got there, there was a baseball player with the Red Sox and he said in the paper, `You know theyre not going to have an N-word quarterback here in Boston, Jackson, 69, recalled in an interview with The Associated Press.It was funny to him, I think, because they had a picture of him laughing in the papers, Jackson said. I had a shot, and I didnt make it under their rules.Bostons professional teams -- like the citys neighborhoods -- had different reactions to the civil rights movement and the integration of professional sports.While the Celtics and Bruins broke barriers in pro basketball and hockey, the Red Sox were the last Major League Baseball team to field a black player. Pumpsie Green took the field at Fenway Park in 1959 -- more than a decade after Jackie Robinson played for the Dodgers and even after Willie ORee took the ice for Boston in the all-white NHL. The Red Sox gave both Robinson and Mays tryouts in the 1940s before opting not to sign them.Meanwhile, the Patriots neither led nor trailed the pack on such issues.Jackson was drafted by Rommie Loudd, the AFLs first black assistant coach before he joined the Patriots in 1966. He moved to the teams front office and became its personnel director in 1969, one of the first black personnel directors in the NFL.Jackson said he thought everything was fine until he drew consistent ire from then-coach Clive Rush, who told Jackson: Joe wouldnt do that.He was talking about Namath, Jackson said. Me being who I am, and where I was from and all, I just accepted that and went on.Jackson was waived after a few months. Rush told the Frederick Daily Leader at the time that Jackson was behind three other quarterbacks.As Ive grown older, I can see little signs that said, `You arent going to make it because youre a black quarterback. Thats the way I interpreted it, anyway, Jackson said.Rush was fired after a losing season in 1969 and 1-6 start in 1970.New England has never had a black head coach. Romeo Crennel, now defensive coordinator in Houston, held that job in New England before he was head coach in Cleveland and Kansas City. Bobby Grier, who is black, was an assistant coach with the Patriots who rose to be vice president of player personnel from 1997-2000.Richard Johnson, curator of the Boston Sports Museum, said while the quarterback milestone would be unintentional, there has never been talk of race influencing the Pats personnel decisions.Under Bill Belichick, the best player has always played, Johnson said.Richard Lapchick, who has pushed for diversity across college and professional sports from The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports, said the Patriots under owner Robert Kraft have consistently pushed for inclusion in several ways.They were working in the community on gender violence prevention in the early 1990s, 20 years before Ray Rice or even before O.J., Lapchick said.The Patriots were also one of the first teams to help NFL players finish their degrees.Josh Johnson, who is black and one of three Giants quarterbacks, was surprised when told his team could be the last to cross this particular racial benchmark.It shows progress, he said. Thats all you want to see, progress. Good luck to (Brissett), I hope he goes out and takes advantage of it. Opportunities come far and few.Though it didnt work out for Jackson, he said hes proud to have played a part toward seeing a day when no one notices who is or isnt under center.Its a pride thing now, he said. Im proud of what happened. Though I didnt make it, it was kind of a foot in the door type-thing.---This story has been corrected to show that Michael Bishop, not Rohan Davey, has played the most games for the Patriots as an African-American quarterback.---AP Sports Writers Jimmy Golen in Boston and Tom Canavan in East Rutherford, New Jersey, contributed to this report.---Follow Kyle Hightower on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/khightower Cheap Hawks Jerseys Authentic . He just needed to be his best twisting, turning acrobatic self. "I didnt need to be anybody else, I just needed to be myself and be aggressive," said Burks, who scored a career-high 34 points to spark the Utah Jazz to a 118-103 victory over the Denver Nuggets on Monday night. Cheap Omari Spellman Jersey .ca NHL Power Rankings for the second straight week, ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Colorado Avalanche. http://www.cheaphawksjerseys.com/ . "Hes going to have hip surgery on Jan. 7, and hell be expected to rehabilitate for four to six months beyond that," Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said Friday in an interview. Wholesale Hawks Jerseys . The recently retired Stern was elected Friday to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and will be enshrined with the class of 2014 on Aug. Cheap Hawks Jerseys China . Darren Helm scored on Detroits sixth attempt in the shootout and then Jonas Gustavsson stopped Andrew Shaws shot, lifting the Detroit Red Wings to a 5-4 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday night. Australias search for a maiden Test win at Loftus Versfeld continues after a 18-10 defeat to South Africa on Saturday in the Rugby Championship.Despite an encouraging display, the Wallabies failed to cash in on their periods of dominance , with the Springboks extending their barren record in Pretoria and snapping a three-match losing streak in the process.It also may have come at a heavy cost, with new No.8 Sean McMahon (ankle) failing to emerge in the second half - which, if serious, could send coach Michael Cheika back to the selection drawing board.All of South Africas points came from the boot of recalled five-eighth Morne Steyn, who kicked four penalties, two drop goals and expertly steered his team to victory.Cheika spoke on match eve of persisting with the Australian way despite the noise around hoodoos, altitude and opposition tactics, and thats exactly what they did - just not for long enough.The Wallabies enjoyed a largely error-free first 20 minutes, looked assured with the ball in hand and had the better of territory and possession for most of the evening.They established a 10-3 lead after a Bernard Foley penalty and the games only try to Scott Sio, who crossed under the posts for his first at Test level to cap off an impressive multi-phase play peppered with smart offloads.But the Springboks fought back, threatenned on numerous occasions and then had the momentum swing back their way thanks to a moment of madness from Israel Folau, who was sin-binned for a collision with veteran winger Bryan Habana six minutes from the break.ddddddddddddWith only Folau to beat, the South African vice-captain kicked ahead but was clipped as he tried to move past, prompting referee Wayne Barnes to produce his yellow card.Steyn slotted the resultant penalty and then kicked another on the half-time whistle, after Dean Mumm was caught offside, to put the Springboks ahead 12-10.From there the match turned into a grind - and the only points scored in the second half were Steyns 75th-minute penalty that confirmed victory for the Springboks, and a drop goal in the dying moments that sent the crowd of 38.704 wild.Winger Reece Hodge missed three penalty attempts, with two of them chances to put Australia ahead in the second half.The other was an audacious early crack from approximately 64m that would have equalled the longest penalty scored in Test history.It dropped less than a metre under the crossbar.The Wallabies will lick their wounds and fly to London on Sunday, ahead of their meeting with Argentina at Twickenham next weekend. Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Nike NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys Store Wholesale Jerseys China Jerseys NFL China ' ' '

nach oben springen

Weihnachten kommt immer sehr plötzlich ...
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: eeffrrr151
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8141 Themen und 8737 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen